Artist name: Sukanta Das
Artwork Medium: Acrylic on canvas
Dimension: 36 inch (H) X 36 inch (W)
About the Artist:
Sukanta Das was born in 1973 in Kolkata, and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Visual Arts from the Rabindra Bharti University, Kolkata, in 1996.
His pieces have a surreal quality about them, possibly due to the palette he employs and his figures are aesthetic. His acrylics on canvas are moments captured in time, and have a photo-realist quality. His women, though, are highly stylized, with large droopy eyes, long noses and sharp features. Das often places these women in idyllic garden settings giving his work the surreal and dream-like quality. Das received a National Scholarship in 1996, and won an Honorable Mention from the Avantika Art Society, New Delhi, in 2003.
His art speaks to men and women alike for its sensuousness, its precise portrayal of figures and in its overall simplicity.
- 'Colours of Spring' at Shree Art Gallery, Kolkata, in 2009
- Art Land Gallery, Mumbai, in 2007
- Mahua Art Gallery, Bangalore, 2007.
- Das had his first solo exhibition at Hotel Oberoi Towers, Mumbai, in 1999,
- Daira Art Gallery, Hyderabad; and
- Art Land Gallery, Mumbai in 2006
- 'The Fragrance of Life' at Daira Art Gallery, Hyderabad in 2009.
Tags: Figurative painting